Old January 4th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Default Headwind? What's that...?

Buckle up.. they are predicting hurricane force winds in the Sierra Nevada's
over the next 24 hours with this storm moving in.

BT

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
David Lesher wrote:
I flew MHT-BWI on Southwest yesterday...

We were making no better than 270 knots groundspeed. I guess the Cap't
was not BS'ing us about a stiff headwind at ~33,000...

Any slower & we'd have to gotten out & pushed...

I had no luck with headwinds over the holidays. On the 20th I was flying
from southern NM back home to Phoenix and averaged 85 Kts. Same trip the
following week, winds on the ground were right in my face 270@25G38. By
the
time I reached my (low) cruising alitude, the best I could do was 75 kts.
The
usual 2.2 hr flight took 3.7 hrs. Any worse and I would have run out of
gas
and daylight before getting home.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)