Old July 16th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Spot X

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 1:15:09 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am aware of the reviews on Garmin vs Spot. But was wondering if anyone has real world experience soaring with the Spot X and what are their thoughts of the Spot X? Thank you

I have owned and flown with original SPOT, than Gen3 and now SPOT X (the older, no Bluetooth version). I find the Flex plan with the option to suspend it for non-flying months financially sensible. Technically, it seems to be quite reliable, and the recent software on PC is quite decent to say the least. Have not used the text-messaging feature in flight ('Don't text when driving') but I know it works. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with it and don't plan to change it for any other options at the moment. The Bluetooth version brings with it even more interesting features, I believe, like connecting with your cellphone for text communication.