Old December 12th 20, 01:33 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Sunday, 6 December 2020 at 20:32:18 UTC, Phoenix wrote:
Are there any CFI-Gs who have taught prospective pilots with Aspergers? I'd like to hear what their challenges are / were.

I'm sure that (in 38 years of active instructing in gliders) I have taught many pupils with varying degrees of Asperger's, without any difficulties over the technical aspects ("Can they do it both safely and reliably?"). But all pupils vary greatly in many ways, from manual dexterity to personal interaction!

You can find online definitions for Asperger's Syndrome, as well as the lengthy screeds! The one which I found clearest is
"An autistic disorder most notable for sometimes great discrepancy between intellectual and social ability."

In my own words:
Difficulty with understanding how to interact socially, especially with 'reading' other peoples' feelings and intentions, and with avoiding causing offence by saying things which, though true, can be seen as rather harsh.
(Note that it's important not to equate social clumsiness with lack of intelligence in non-emotional matters.)

About 12 years ago (aged 60) I came to the realisation that I am an Asperger's case myself. I'm fairly sure that no-one that I know or have dealings with would have suspected it. All would see me has a very able and successful man, but a bit 'wooden' socially: the result of having to think hard about social interaction, which most people find instinctive.
And I think I can fairly claim to be a very successful software engineer and glider pilot, and a well-received instructor. But of course "I would say that, wouldn't I?" (:^)
J.
Self diagnosis can frequently be problematic. The fact that you are a successful software engineer leads me to believe you may be right in your assessment.

Walt Connelly
Former tow pilot
Now happy helicopter pilot.