Old May 28th 04, 04:27 PM
Chris OCallaghan

You may think it, and you may know differently, but how would you like
someone taking pot shots at your "for sale" posting? Besides, the
seller only claimed a replacement cost, not a price. I've found that
unless you've bought a new glider, most pilots haven't a clue just how
expensive it really is. There are transport and insurance fees to get
the trailer to the factory (plus a fee for fitting the trailer to the
glider), the glider from the factory to the boat, from Europe to the
US, and additional fees to clear the port. In total these invisible
cost are substantial. Initial certification of the glider is not
cheap, that is, if you want it done in less than 6 months. I recently
received a factory quote for Ventus 2cx w/o engine, based on it the
"replacement cost" cited doesn't surprise me. A total cost of
acquisition might be closer to the low 130s, but that's not the point.
A brand new glider, well equipped delivered tomorrow (as opposed to 24
months from tomorrow) may be worth a premium. The price payed will be
determined by the buyer. So again, my question, why even comment in
the first place?

Is it open season? I've had some thoughts about models and claims I've
seen for sale on this board. My insights might be very valuable to
potential buyers, but I typcially save my thoughts for those who
contact me privately. Why? Because I'd prefer that others with equally
irrelevant opinions (as mine) not stifle my attempts to sell a glider.