Old October 9th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

Default Open Cirrus Pilots Notes

Andrew Wood wrote:
I did once see an open cirrus undershoot using the
tail parachute. The pilot was using the tail parachute
for the first time. He found the tail chute opened
fine, but would not jettison. I'm told the tail chute
release mechanism is prone to jam if the approach speed
is high.

PS, I'm not saying the undershoot is unlikely - I suspect the pilot may
have been trying to jettison using the trim, or the tailchute was
attached such that the release jammed.

First time with the tailchute is interesting: (a) this is not too bad,
(b) ohmygod the sink rate is alarming, (c) no, it's OK, I'll make the
runway. (c) might not happen if you've not, on a first attempt, aimed
rather further into the runway than normal! I recommend a continuous
curve from downwind to final, rather than formal legs.