Old August 16th 03, 11:21 PM
Snowbird

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
Ignoring used v/s new costs for the moment... Consider the VAL INS-422...
entire VOR/LOC/GS/MB radio in one small hole in the panel... No moving
parts... Should last a long time..

Actually, we're considering that. Our avionics guy never heard
of it. It's pricier up front but it's *possible* that the installation
costs would even out.

Anyone here w/ experience want to comment?

My #2 VOR/LOC/GS is an MX-300A and it has the LED needles built into the
face of the radio... Not legal for approaches I suspect

Why do you say that? Why shouldn't it be legal for approaches?

I agree on the utility of the 2nd GS... I had a GS fail during an approach -
in actual - a few years back... The &*^%($# piece of lethal crap failed
with the GS needle centered and no warning flag...

Yeah, that's happened to a couple of people we know, leading to
our reluctance to just substitute an electric horizon gyro.

Cheers,
Sydney