Old June 26th 05, 09:47 PM
Dan Luke

"Charles Oppermann" wrote:
* Speed: Cirrus wins big: 40+ KTAS faster. The Cessna rep. claimed
135 for the Skylane, which seems a bit pokey for an airframe that has
supposedly had an extensive aerodynamic cleanup.

But it's still the same basic airframe. There is only so much you can
do.

Yeah, but if 135 is all it'll do, they haven't done *anything*. My
buddy's old Skylane will do 133.

The Cirrus has a composite body that is lighter and much more
aerodynamic with less drag.

Less drag, yes. Lighter? No; the Cirrus is more than 300 lbs. heavier.
Composite construction is not lighter than aluminum.

Don't worry as much about a airspeed number. Rather, factor it in
with fuel burn and compare the cost of a 1 hour trip, a 2 hour trip
and a 4 hour trip. Going 20% faster isn't a bargin if your fuel burn
goes up 50% - I'm not saying that the Cirrus does that, just that you
should take the true airspeed value as a factor in other performance
figures.

The Cirrus wins. 180kt @ 16gph = ~11nm/gal vs.135kt @ 13 gph =
~10nm/gal. The Cirrus' advantage is even greater if you consider that
the engine/airframe cost/mile will be higher for the Skylane, because it
takes longer to get anywhere.

I regularly get 132-135 KTAS in my C182S above 8,000feet (solo).

That's really what kills the 182 for me. I don't think I could stand to
buy a new airplane that's slower than my 172RG, even if it's only by a
little.

Also check on the availability of maintenence.

Yep. I'd have to fly to Destin, FL for warranty service on the Cirrus.
The local shop could work on a new Skylane for me.

[snip]

Right now, I think the Garmin G1000 is going to be better supported
than the system in the Cirrus.

Why?

The KAP-140 is an excellent 3-axis autopilot.

Roll, pitch, what's the 3rd axis?

[snip]

I'm sure you know this already, but it's not the initial cost, but the
operating and owning costs over time.

$100,00 invested over time is a lot of money.

Insurance will be lower and maintenence might be cheaper with the
Skylane.

Maybe.

--
Dan