Old September 6th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Default Which Way is That Thermal?

Yes, Frank, please explain this to us. I never heard that that there
was any other theory than turn toward the uplifted wing. Sure, there's
lots of theories about what to do after that. Bob Wander's "book" has
the 4-circle search method, and it seems like I read something in
Knauff's stuff somewhere, maybe in "Breaking the Apron Strings." I'm
still early in the learning process, and seem to have the best results
with "tighten the turn in decreasing lift, loosen the turn in
increasing lift. This works so well that I'm frequently seeing people
in roughly equal gliders climbing past me, so I'm always looking for a
better way. Enlighten us.

Thanks,
Ed

wrote:
Really? I had never heard of the "turn away from the thermal" school
of thought.

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Regarding apparent rising wings, that may not indicate anything
regarding the direction of the core of the thermal, other than a turn
may indicated.

That is, there is another school of thought on which way to turn,
especially if the goal is to center as quickly as possible in a
thermal.

Frank Whiteley