Old April 26th 04, 03:07 PM
Jim Vincent

Also, adding stab tilt helps the free flight glider turn towards the high side.

All these are tweaked in until the glider performs as desired. I also fly
Jet-X gliders, little free flight gliders with a small rocket engine attached
that burn for about 10 seconds. If done right, a thing of beauty. If not, they
loop like mad or auger in dramatically. Always fun.

My hand-launced gliders are built with crossed controls,
which produces this effect. A slight amount of rudder
into the turn keeps it going. A slight amount of opposite
aileron keeps it from overbanking. A slight amount
of up elevator lifts the nose. Just enough weight on
the nose keeps it from making phugoids. Just enough
dihedral helps it right itself.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ