Old April 7th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

Default Advise wanted for maintaining gelcoat that is already FUBAR

Thanks for taking a look.
Pictures are linked below.
The story goes this poor glider sat in a trailer for some years in Texas and it ate the otherwise bulletproof gelcoat.

Per usual the tops of the wings are the worst. Some of the sanding has gotten down to the gray layer that covers the fiberglass. Deep crazing/cracking in the gelcoat covers most of the upper surfaces of the glider.

I have no interest in a refinish at this time.

Perhaps I should just do nothing, but you can feel the "roughness" of the gelcoat when you run your hand along the wings. I was thinking I could improve this with some fine grit block sanding? What grit and what combination? Perhaps just a rubbing compound with an orbital sander?

I'm looking for advise on the best way to slow the destruction of the gelcoat. I know there is no saving it.

I'm thinking some form of block sanding to level the gelcoast as best I can and then waxing to prevent more moisture ingress?

Some have suggested spray paint to cover the bare spots, others have suggested gel coat patch for that?

Hoping for more discussion than flaming...

LINK TO PHOTOS: http://s35.photobucket.com/user/pba1...0Finish%202015