Old October 1st 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_2_]

Default Soaring Simulator

Several UK clubs have now attached a complete glider fuselage to the
simulator programme and have all the controls set up as for a real glider
using Silent Wings.

At my own club we have a Janus cockpit in a dedicated room with the
programme being projected onto three screens. Although there is no motion
platform the simulator can be used to good effect for basic effects of
controls and the students can be taught a number of exercises without
flying. It does not take long to get the feeling of movement and aftre a
lengthy session students come out feeling as though they have flown

With the lousy UK summer it has proved a good investment

Dave

to theAt 18:54 29 September 2008, noel.wade wrote:

Excellent advice. The joystick of choice has to be the Microsoft Force
Feedback 2 if you can find one. They sometimes come up on ebay but

don't
expect a bargain price! Force feedback will make your flying a lot

more
realistic.

If you've got the budget, an MS FF2 stick is great. But I'd rather
see someone spend the exta $$ on rudder pedals, if they're not looking
to blow the bank.

--Noel
(former computer-game developer) :-)