Old September 8th 04, 08:48 PM
Captain Wubba

Hello,

Our son Alexander is almost 8 months old. He took his first flight in
our Beech Musketeer when he was 4 months old. He's been up 5 or 6
times since. We just use his normal car seat in the rear seat of the
plane. I bought a child's 'shooters' hearing protector at Dick's
Sporting Goods for $10. It adjusts and seals fine; supposedly it is
rated at 24 db noise reduction, which is better than the passive
reduction on my aviation headset. He ends up going to sleep very
quickly; he seems to like the vibration. I try not to climb or descend
more than 300 FPM. ATC has always been accomodating when I've had to
ask for a slower climb. We keep a bottle or sippy cup handy in case he
wakes up and needs to suck on something to equalize the pressure in
his ears.

We haven't had the slighest problem with him. I just wish all my
passengers were as well behaved as Alex. All my other passengers are
constantly complaining: "What's that F-16 doing off your wing?", "Are
we supposed to be upside down?", "Why did the tower tell you to
prepare to copy a phone number down?", "What do you mean you landed at
the wrong airport?"...whine, whine, whine...Alex just sits there and
sleeps. I'm sure your little one will do great

Cheers,

Cap

Dave *m wrote in message . ..
Howdy all,

I have a young daughter (currently 17 months old) who I am looking
forward to taking up in a plane some day. I have a private pilot's
license and typically fly C172s, Pipers, etc.

I feel she's too young right now, but as soon as she's old enough to
understand most anything we (my wife and I) say to her, we will
consider taking her for a ride.

Has anyone else taking their youngin' for their first flight? What
about seating (carseat compatibility in abovementioned planes)? Are
there headsets for smaller heads? (I didn't see any at Sporty's, at
first look). What else did you do to make the flight as enjoyable as
possible?

Thanks in advance!
Dave M.