Old September 20th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Rosettes was:Repairing a well-rusted cluster?

"Fortunat1" wrote in message

While we're on the subject, I have a question about Rosette welds. With
the
specified hole size in realtion to the thickness of the metal, I have a
hard time getting the metal underneath to heat up enough to melt before I
blow away the metal on top. I have preheated the innner piece as much as
possible and this does produce better results, but It's still a bit hit
and
miss. Is there a trick? Smaller tip? Bigger?

I would think that you need less heat and more patience. I'm not the
world's greatest gas welder, but until someone else that is comes along and
says something, I'll give it a shot.

I think you need much less heat. If you concentrate the heat on the inner
tube, and get a molten puddle going, you can then make the rose shape in a
pattern around a point in the middle of the hole.

It does not take that much heat to get the puddle going. If you concentrate
a small flame on the middle, the rod will slowly melt into the puddle. If
it isn't kinda' slow, your flame is too big, or too hot. A good molten
puddle filling in the hole will get the outsides of the outer tube's hole
molten, and blend into the rose.

Does that make sense to you?
--
Jim in NC