Old September 15th 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 6:20:34 AM UTC-4, Mana wrote:
The technology of the motor is very mature and much simpler than of
a jet or a combustion engine, which has a direct impact on maintenance
needs and on reliability.

But you're asking the wrong question. Whilst the TECHNOLOGY is mature,
the SPECIFIC UNITS we are using in gliders are engineered and built by small
firms in tiny quantities, and not subjected to the kind of testing
and reliability validation we take for granted in our cars, appliances, etc.