Old April 22nd 05, 03:42 AM
Jay Honeck

I can't remember the last time I saw kids ( 14 yo) playing pick up
anything.
Seriously. I assume they're exhausted from all the organized activities.

Sadly, that's very true. I was just talking about this with my 14 year old
son tonight, while we were playing (American) football (just catch, really)
out in the back yard.

When I was a kid, at the height of the baby boom, my neighborhood was FULL
of kids my age. I mean, it was a riot every night, with kids running wild
every which way. We played every possible sport, and always had full-sized
teams.

Now, the nearest kid my son's age lives several blocks away. I really feel
for the kid, cuz there just isn't any opportunity for him to play a pick-up
game of ANYTHING -- soccer, baseball, football, it doesn't matter.

Yet another reason kids are addicted to video games -- they can be played
alone. It's sad.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA