Old December 20th 05, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Curious incident :)

Saw an amusing incident today at the Dubai Airport; hadn't ever seen
such a thing earlier.

A Dragonair 747 taxied on to the east-west aligned runway at the
western end. Although the runway threshold is just east of that point,
the aircraft turned west and did a 180 at the adjoining circular tarmac
pad. Just as it centered on the runway, a FedEx MD-11 landed from above
in front of it. I noticed that the MD-11 had barely begun its turn on
the exit at the far end when smoke came off the 747 tires. The takeoff
roll had begun.

Though the runway sequence was very time-efficient, it left me feeling
that it'd have been fun had the MD-11 come slightly low in the
glideslope or encountered mild windshear )

How often does such a sequence happen where you live?

Ramapriya