Old July 3rd 17, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Keith Eyler T21

At 16:06 03 July 2017, wrote:
Thx John,
I read your work before the few contest I've flown and fly the

best
I=
can. The other pilots simply flew better than I did. The statistics

of
th=
eir flights show that. The winner flew 4.5% better than I had. I'm

sure I
w=
ould have podiumed had I simply understood better the way my

ClearNav
think=
s, nothing to do with the fact I was flying a club class glider. It was
pil=
ot error.=20
(not at John, who, I'm a big fan of his work)
I have no problem competing against the D2s etc... My day win I

flew
bett=
er. I had a great thermal average, flew great lines and flew the TAT

lim=
it as much of my headwind as possible. It was my day in the spot

light.=20
Garret won this contest in my sailplane in 2015, HA came in a

close
s=
econd simply because they're experienced, damn good racing

pilots in the
sa=
me way 5F, and RO are also highly experienced, damn good racing

pilots. =
=20
I don't buy for one second into the accusations of D2s having

an
adva=
ntage, Team Flying etc because i was there, had drinks, drove a

cooler,
had=
potato cannon fights with the AF cadets etc. Quite frankly it does
nothing=
productive for the sport and should stop. A nationals with 10

gliders
woul=
d have been boring and I was glad to see the turnout in club class.
I had a great time at the contest with everyone and hope that

with
cl=
ub class and the great turnout for the junior event on the east

coast this
=
week we may have a sign that persons not on REC complaining,

but rather
tho=
se out in the field are doing good things for the sport.=20
I fly my glider because it doesn't have wifi, I can be an

introvert
a=
nd so this concludes my once in a decade post and most likely

wont be
visit=
ing this site for another 10 years.=20

Fly safe, and strive for perfection knowing you'll never get

there.=20

T21

Keith,
It was nice meeting and flying with you. I'm an old Standard Class
kind of guy, and it was refreshing to meet a bunch of newer and
younger pilots who were out to race and have fun too. I also
enjoyed meeting some older people whom I had only read about in
the past. Hobbs can provide a demanding and challenging
environment, and this year was no exception. Now, after the 2000
mile drive home, I need a rest....but it was worth it........
RO