Old July 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Who Wouldn't You Fly With?

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

After one spooky experience several years ago, I am very discriminating
about who I'll fly with.

First, I have to know a pilot well enough to form an opinion about his/her
abilities as a pilot and about the owner's mechanical aptitude and
ability/will to properly maintain the aircraft.

Yep.

Second, I won't fly with someone if I have a prejudice against the aircraft
they fly. Homebuilt helicopters come to mind.

Well, yeah: if you want me to take a ride in your Questair Venture, I might
demur.

Third, regardless of the other two checks and balances, the airplane must
appear to be in good condition and have enough recent usage to give some
indication that it is safe for flight.

Yep. Visible airframe corrosion? Rotted tires? Rusty water in the fuel
samples? Uh...no thanks.

If I'm not sure about any of the issues, I'll either try to "qualify"
someone or politely decline the offer of a ride. For instance, if someone I
know offers a ride in his beautiful new Stearman restoration, my question
will be... "So how many hours does it have since the ground up restoration?"
Under 25 hours and I'll politely take a rain check.

If John Travolta pulls up in his 707 and asks me to sit right seat. Thanks,
but no. I'd love to go, but don't know enough about him or his airplane to
be comfortable.

I *do* know enough about him. Anyone belonging to a wacko religious cult is
on my "no go" list.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM