Old May 5th 20, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Scales for Weight and Balance

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 1:16:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 12:59:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,

Las Vegas Valley Soaring is currently restoring our beloved SGS 1-26D and will need to establish a new empty weight CG once finished. Does anyone know where I might source a borrowed or rented set of scales?

Thanks!
Dennis Ballew
Vice President
Las Vegas Valley Soaring.

Schweizer documentation indicated that, if no big scale is available, use 2 bathroom scales with a board across them.
FWIW
UH

Electronic scales that measure up to 300 kg are available for under $100. I calibrated a pair of bathroom scales by going to an immediate care clinic with a backpack loaded with about 50 lbs of weights. I asked to use their patient platform scale, which they gladly agreed to. I weighed myself with and without the backpack. I then weighed myself the same way on both bathroom scales (they were surprisingly accurate). The most critical measurement is the tail weight as it has the longest moment arm. I would check the scale this way as close as possible to the expected tail weight.

One thing to keep in mind is that any breeze will upset this measurement. Either find a hangar you can do this in, or go out early and do it on a calm day.

Tom