Old June 29th 05, 10:14 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:59:53 GMT, "R.L." wrote in
::

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0629/p03s02-usju.html

Perhaps the thing to do is to e-mail the author of the article, Ms.
Alexandra Marks, and educate her about how absurd the fear of little
GA aircraft is:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/enc...3s02-usju.html

She'll probably respond with something regarding this:

But security experts counter that Al Qaeda has a history of
planning to use small aircraft in attacks. Soon after 9/11,
investigators uncovered a plan to use a small plane packed with
explosives to attack the US Embassy in Pakistan. Mohammad Atta,
one of the 9/11 hijackers, had applied for a loan to buy a crop
duster. And Zacarias Massouwi, the alleged 20th hijacker, had a
crop-dusting manual with him when he was arrested.

"I don't think these guys were interested in farming," says
Professor Thomas.

If the nation is going to start securing 100 horsepower aircraft
against terrorists, it should first find ways to prevent cars and
trucks being used for terrorist purposes.

The fact is, regardless of what terrorists _planned_ to do with small
aircraft, they _used_ heavy AIRLINERS filled with _tons_ of fuel in
their attacks on September 11, 2001, not GA aircraft. And the last I
heard, security of airline flights is no better since we spent
_billions_ in security efforts than it was on September 11, 2001.