Old April 30th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Typhoon502

Default "Helmet system replaces heads-up display on F-35s"

On Apr 30, 11:34 am, Ed Rasimus wrote:

An old buddy who has been working out of Ft. Worth with the design
team was telling me at one of the Rat reunions about the integrated
video cameras mounted in the skin that project into the helmet based
on where you are looking. If you turn to a place where the airframe is
in the way you get video from the camera on the other side of the
structure so your view is unimpeded. If you look at the wing you see
video from the bottom side so you essentially look right through it.
Look at the floor and you get the bottom fuselage video so you see
what is beneath your feet.

Might be a bit vertigo inducing, sort of like hurtling through open
space at several hundred knots with nothing around you!

My old neighbor at AW&ST was talking about the same thing. And after
the last close look I got at a Raptor (static display at Andrews AFB a
couple of years back), I have a suspicion that the same tech is being
integrated into the big bird, at least in the forward fuselage.