View Single Post
Old September 30th 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default How would YOU design an international soaring center?

Great stuff. I think of the many clubs I've visited in Europe, and the single biggest differences between them and typical US operations are facilities. Not all of these exist at all clubs, but the bigger ones have quite a few of them:

- Food and drink. The bigger clubs have a kitchen and bar (often run by a local third-party) that operates most days. So, you need the appropriate kitchen facilities to make at least a limited operation profitable/feasible (commercial stove, flattop, sinks, dishwasher, fridge and freezer). Doesn't need to be industrial scale, but big enough to handle 50 covers an hour at peak. If that's not in the cards, then at least a big public kitchen that would support a bunch of transient folks using it.

- Accomodations. Already covered, but a good bunk house with reasonable bathroom facilities and maybe even a couple of private rooms. Also, hookups for a dozen or so RVs plus tent sites for the hardcore campers.

- Classroom/Briefing room. With modern A/V equipment and ability for flexible setup (round tables, lecture hall, whatever)

- Hangars or other covered storage.

- First class workshop facilities. This would attract a good mechanic/repair station who could be an independent contractor.

- Non-soaring amenities. While they don't have to be extravagant, a pool and a playground would be useful for folks who are travelling with families.. Creatively, if the pool could be a public facility (i.e. municipal) supporting lap lanes, a diving tank, etc.), then the burden wouldn't be on the airport alone.

-