Old October 18th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Cheaper tows?

Thanks!

On 10/17/2018 5:58 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 08:39:51 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Why are the wings bent?Â* Was the shop where it was built too small to
lay the wing flat?

Keeps the tips out of the weeds while improving lateral stability :-)

We use DR400 Robins as tow planes. Like many (all?) Jodel designs, they
have flat inner wing panels and dihedralled outers. There is also a lot
of wash-out on the tip panels (shown in the side view photo on the link).
I'm told that at cruising speed the tips intentionally contribute zero
lift while minimising tip vortex drag, making them very efficient at the
design cruise speed. They're good tugs too.

We used to have a Rallye and a 235 hp Pawnee, both now replaced with a
pair of Robins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_DR400

--
Dan, 5J