Old April 8th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloOne

Default 1,000 mile ridge flight 4-05-07

Thanks guys!

The files concerning my flight can be found at:

http://www.sailplanes.info/K1_1017miles.zip (300 kb)

The igc file is missing the beginning of the flight.

This includes the takeoff, release and about 24 minutes after release.

It is my position (and I believe this position will be upheld under
record review) that the complete flight will be valid from release to
landing.

The towpilot (Butch Thompson) made detailed records of the takeoff and
release location, times and altitudes. I believe it is unlikely that
anyone can be successful with an argument that my flight was not
continuous from release to where the flight file begins. These
missing fixes cover the first 24 minutes after release and the glider
traveled 36 miles in that time. I think that it will be agreed that
it would have been physically impossible to have landed and had a
relaunch in that time period and still have traveled the 36 miles.

This igc file 745_DaleKramer.igc has been modified and you can read
how and why it was modified by opening it in a word processor and
reading the beginning.

The file Apr5tasks.cup is a SeeYou file that you can open that
contains the tasks that the flight fits.

The Hilton Cup triangle for the flight is likely to be 1445.9 km and
will have a 12.5% penalty applied since it was a flat triangle, which
leaves it at 1265km. When the LS8 handicap of .938 is applied, the
flight is worth 1187 points.

It appears that 10 US National records may have been broken, however
only 6 may be allowed due to a rule on how many records a flight may
be applied to.

The flight looks like it broke the following 10 US National records:

Undeclared 3 tp distance of 1017.0 miles (88.18 mph) -- 15m and
Standard class records broken

Declared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- 15m and
Standard class records broken

Undeclared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

Declared 1250 km Out and Return Speed of 84.4 mph (1353.5 km) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

The flight will probably only be counted to break the following 6 US
National records:

Undeclared 3 tp distance of 1017.0 miles (88.18 mph) -- Standard class
record broken

Declared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- 15m class
record broken

Undeclared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- Open
class record broken

Declared 1250 km Out and Return Speed of 84.4 mph (1353.5 km) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

It was fun!

Dale