Old September 21st 03, 07:11 AM
Mike Marron

Chad Irby wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

Allow me to explain one more time that I doubt that the fasteners
were designed to take shear loads in the threaded area NOT that there
were "four bolts running straight into the bottom of the plane."

That's because, again, the bolts were NOT installed in such a way as to
take a SHEAR load.

I've asked you several times if those "four bolts" that you kept
referring to all-thread bolts and what type of loads were
they designed for. Now that we've finally established that little
bit of info...

Everything else you wrote is just noise.

Not nearly as noisy as the smoke blowing out your ass such as:

"I know there were a couple of cases in Vietnam where F-4s made hard
enough turns to rip the ECM pods off..."

"An apocryphal story they used to tell us was that some fighter jock
was trying to kill a boat on a river. He dropped bombs. Missed. He
used up all of his 20mm. Missed. So he went in on a run and
jettisoned the pod. Hit. one $5,000 boat for a million dollar pod..."

"You have to rmember that for at least some of the Vietnam War, some
pilots didn't like ECM pods at *all*. Weren't manly enough, or
something. After they started noticing a somewhat higher survival
rate among pilots with pods, they got the message."

"But by the early 1980s, a lot of jet jockeys were back to the "pods
are for wimps" sort of attitude."

"Speaking of Vietnam: one afternoon, we were working on a plane, and
one of the sheet-metal guys came over to us. He'd just replaced a
patch on the tail of one plane, and he had the old patch in his hands.
It was a flattened can of Vietnamese beer from ten years back..."

-Mike ( Riiiiiiiight ) Marron