Old June 17th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clark[_2_]

Default Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail,Surrender Your Privacy

On Jun 16, 10:54 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail, Surrender
Your Privacy

Hey, at first glance it looks like NASA/ASRS are moving into the 21st
century by distributing their newsletter via e-mail:

ASRS CALLBACK GOES ONLINE
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#198111)
The NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) has gone online.
Now from the ASRS website, pilots can receive CALLBACK in their
inbox by signing up online
(http://visitor.constantcontact.com/e...73741327&p=oi).
The monthly safety bulletin includes excerpts from ASRS incident
reports with supporting commentary as well as occasional research
studies and aviation safety information. The ASRS website
(http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/) also offers an online database and
Electronic Report Submission portal that accepted 45,000 reports
from pilots, controllers, mechanics and flight attendants last
year.

But then things get a little murkier:

Email Privacy Policy
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving...vacyPolicy.jsp
Use of Web Beacons

I'm the one that initiated promotion of their recent improvements.
There's no conspiracy, sorry. Just a solid 30 year old program that
gathers information on events to improve safety of the National
Airspace System. Only 35 percent of the reports deal with non-
conformance to FARs, and most of those the FAA would never have been
aware of. I talk with the folks there and there is nothing higher on
their list of priorities than protecting the identity of reporters. It
is too bad that we live in a blame society, because there is a lot of
information we will never know about because of that blame culture and
the litigious nature of our society.

But you offer some excellent information here, thanks for posting it.
If you have some suggestions for them, they would be glad to hear
about them.

Fly Smart
Kent