Old June 18th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clark[_2_]

Default Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail,Surrender Your Privacy

1. If you submit a report electronically, which is how they get 2/3 of
them now, there is a report number generated at the end and you can
print that out. As before, the analysts get rid of identified data as
soon as they are done with "callbacks" on reports that rate additional
interest.

One thing I have discovered from my peeps so far is that the email
notifying you of a new Callback is text only. When you get the email,
there are links that take you to the newsletter. Here's some info I
just got:
"Early on in the CALLBACK Email Notification implementation we
switched from HTML emails to Text Only emails. Text only emails do not
have any tracking web beacons in them."

From the website:
"For your information, NASA has prevented any tracking of subscribers
through contract arrangements with this third party. NASA ASRS only
uses your e-mail address for CALLBACK subscriptions. NASA ASRS and the
third party vendor will never share or sell your personal
information."

What they are looking for is readership volume and preference.

OBTW they have reports from over 70 ASAP programs coming in now also.

There is program brief on the NASA ASRS site for those interested.
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/summary.html

I hope this helps. I went ahead and forwarded the questions along to
the program manager, and he has indicated that he will get the IT
people to look at issues raised. As always, quickest way to kill a
reporting program is to abuse the reporters, make it hard to report,
and to not give them any feedback. I know ASRS works hard to balance
these essentials, and will continue to do so as they move into
cyberspace.

2. NTSB does a good job of investigating with their limited resources
but that usually gets overlooked by reporters looking for the lead
story and 30 second sound bite. Do a google search fro Pinnacle 4712
in Traverse City (contaminated runway excursion) and look at a few of
the press releases over the last week. Some discovered the fact that
there were a lot of things going on that night (fatigue,
chronobiology, 15 hours on duty, after midnight, 8 hours of flying in
bad weather, training, SOPs, scheduling, weather, dispatch, airport
facilities, runway friction measuring methodologies, heueristic bias,
etc...), others were content to cite "poor decision" by pilot and call
it a day. Which serves the flying public better in the long run? I
know you know the answer

I enjoyed my many years in SoCal, compliments of Uncle Sam's Misguided
Children (USMC), El Toro and Pendleton. If I could pick a place to
live without needing to win the lottery, it would be Coronado.

Cooled off a bit, off to the weeds again!