Old March 29th 04, 12:19 PM
Stephen Harding

old hoodoo wrote:

I just heard on the history channel one of the black sheep stating that there was one corsair that had the paint stripped off of it
that Boyington may have actually flown in combat? Boyington allegedly commented something to the effect that it might attract more
Japs to him (in the sense he would have more targets).

Anyone hear the reference?

I read a recent book on Boyington and never came across
such a reference. I did read where he had an ashtray
installed in his corsair. He used to smoke while flying!

During the program, I *thought* I saw in a film footage
snip, *four* machine gun barrel ports in the leading edge
of one wing.

Were there any eight [MG] gun Corsairs in the Pacific war?
Could this simply be some footage from a later period, or
some experimental version?

I noticed some rather obvious substitutions for corsairs
during the program, including hellcats (maybe wildcats)
flying formation instead of corsairs, and Spitfires taking
off instead of AVG Flying Tiger P-40's.

You never know what the producers are going to pull on you!

SMH