Old August 22nd 18, 12:50 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLaughlin View Post
I'm just coming back into gliding after a long time grounded and I'm
looking to buy a glider over the winter. A two seater seems a nice idea and

the Nimbus seems to be a lot of glider for the money.

Are they in any way difficult or unpleasant to fly? I know there have been

structural failures due to loss of control.

Are they difficult or heavy to rig?

Maintenance issues? Airframe life issues?

How much would insurance typically cost - a two seater has to cost more
than a single seater?

Is winch launching unwise? Is it best to stick to a tarmac runway?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
Hi John

I currently own a Nimbus 3D and a Ventus a. I swap between the 2 without any problems and the Nimbus doesn't feel ponderous at all to me

I've some time in a Duo X and I'd describe the 3D as being like a slightly sluggish Duo to roll especially if you are flying it too slow, then it resembles an out of control barge :-) . Appropriate speed is the key. Both flight manuals quote 4.4 seconds for the 45 to 45 turn reversal at their respective MAUW with the Nimbus in +2 thermal flap at 60kts and the Duo 4kts slower. I have no hesitation in doing reversals while thermalling if I think it will centre me quicker. No problems with either aerotow or winching and I don't even mind a wing down take-off from grass on aerotow if no wing runner is available.

Unlike some I fly with the tip spoilers connected and as they only deploy (if properly adjusted) when nearing full aileron travel there is no drag penalty when flying 'clean'. They help a lot with rapid maneuvering enabling you to put the glider where you want it quickly and be back 'clean' again. The biggest hinderance in flying big wings that my fellow pilot ride alongs display is a lack of willingness to use full controls as necessary.

I've had a few passengers who have ASH 25 time fly with me and they all say the Nimbus is more responsive and quicker handling, but I suspect that relates more to lack of appropriate speed as the one time I flew an ASH with Terry Delore in NZ I thought it was fine and was looking to buy one before I settled on the Nimbus

I solo rig the Nimbus in c.40- 45 minutes and it's the endless taping that's the biggest drag and de-rig in 30. I regularly land the Nimbus shorter than the club Duo and twice have outlanded the Nimbus in c.140yd (1st and last landouts to date with another 2 or 3 in there)

Any way that's my opinion from owning a 3D and it's only an opinion. Some people like big wings and some don't.

Good luck and welcome back to soaring
:-) Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : August 22nd 18 at 12:52 AM.