Old August 25th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default Bird strikes on light GA prop aircraft

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:51:04 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

Depends on the windshield. It could be one of the reasons for going to
a one piece. The one piece, speed sloped (tm) windshield in the
Bonanza is far stronger than the original two piece. Mine is 1/2"
thick. I've bounced some pretty big birds off it. It's silent in
torrential rain where the old plexiglass in the Cherokee 180 was
deafening in heavy rain.

Wow, I'll bet it is a lot quieter! I didn't know anyone made 1/2" thick
windshields for these sized planes. I'll bet it is heavy, but in my
opinion, worth every pound.

The book says half inch, but I can only find 3/8" currently available.
Still, 3/8 is one whale of a lot more sturdy than the thin 1/8" stuff.

BTW the side windows including the doors are 1/4" on the Deb and it is
definitely quieter. Still noisy but quieter than original.:-))