Old February 10th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Hard Deck

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:17:54 AM UTC-8, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:03:13 AM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:31:25 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:

30 mile cylinder: I didn't say no one would finish - I said no one would return to Truckee. Unless the finish cylinder height was very high. If it is 30 miles and 8000 ft, you will finish over the Carson or Sierraville valley at 8000', with a lot of work to do late in the dying day if you are trying to avoid a retrieve.

My typo - I meant return to Truckee.

You could have the finish at 10,000' MSL & 15 miles which is ~35:1 to the edge of the normal finish cylinder. Sort of a permanent safety finish.

9B

Yes, that's how I was thinking of it -- a permanent safety finish. Set the diameter and height such that it is not essential to return to Truckee valley for a finish yet will not make it significantly more difficult to complete a return to the cool pines if you don't have a motor. We could even set the finish ring all the out to the Pinenuts. That would be odd and unusual. But odd and unusual isn't a reason not to do it when it solves two big problems.

Yeah, that would do it. The last 15 miles are pretty much skill free anyway, so not measuring much except the performance of your glider.