Old September 3rd 04, 01:54 AM
Mike Rapoport

There will be a better Wx solution coming after WAAS and the processor
upgrade will enable airways (don't actually know if airways will be part of
the upgrade).

Mike
MU-2

"Maik" wrote in message
better wx would be nice, at least in our area (northern Germany), but I
don't think that this will depend on the faster processor.
And also airways are just a rumor and I don't believe in rumors.

here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
-----------------------snip------------------------------------------
The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
quarter 2005. It will involve replacing the motherboard,
microprocessor, GPS engine, and GPS antenna. Basically you will be
getting an entirely new unit, minus the outside hardware. The cost of
$1,500 is for parts, labor, and re-certification of the unit. I
apologize if you were informed that the upgrade would only involve a
software change at no cost.

We will also be upgrading the 500 series units with both certified
TAWS-B ($7,995) and uncertified terrain awareness ($500) by the end of
2004. This will involve the unit coming back to the factory for the
upgrade.
-------------snap---------------

no weather, no airways, but a lot of money and again LATER. first time
Garmin talked about a release date for Waas it should come in 2002.
I think Garmin is at least regading the 400/500 series more like Atari
in the past.

They always wrote in there letters about the new computer "really soon
now" and this over years...

I think if you really need Waas I would switch to the new GNS480 aka
CNX-80. Newer design, airways and a faster processor :-)

Maik

Mike Rapoport wrote:
No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things

sell us.

Mike
MU-2

"Scott Moore" wrote in message

Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of

the

430)

spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site:

http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185

Pascal

compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.