Old May 5th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

Default First post

"birdog" wrote in message
I am an 83 year old ex-pilot - lost my medical some 30 years ago, but my
interest in aviation has never slackened.

There is no reason to let a little thing like a medical keep you out of the sky.
(Forgetting Sport Pilot for a moment) The lack of a medical only keeps you from
flying SOLO. One of the best things you can do is find a young person trying to
build time towards advanced ratings. Share expenses and pass on your experience
to him/her. When I was building time towards my CFI, I was lucky enough to have
such a mentor, (a retired airline pilot with some physical problems) and I like
to believe that he was mutually lucky to have me.

Alternatively, find another old pilot at the airport who hasn't yet lost his
medical, or is OK to fly Sport Pilot.

If I WERE able to fly today, I could not afford it. In the late
'50's, we bought a 135 HP Tri-Pacer, and if memory serves, it was under $2000,
used of course. Sometime later, it was a 172, 5-years old, for about $4500. I
would probably have to mortage the house to buy the same plane today.

Then don't buy a plane. It is almost always cheaper to rent, and it is the
ultimate pay-as-you-go deal. Short of winning the lotto (and I don't even play)
I don't see myself ever being an owner.

Vaughn