Old June 29th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default Emergency Exit

At 16:13 29 June 2018, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 5:15:06 PM UTC+1, Dave

Walsh wrote:

Or, of course, you could just fly a DG with their NOAH
system? It seems a pity that more manufacturers do not
offer NOAH given the age of many pilots...
I had one in a DG808C and although I never had cause

use it I miss it.
Dave W

Were there any downsides to the NOAH system in day to

day use of the glider
- comfort, thickness of the inflatable bag, space for the gas

cylinder (I
presume there is a cylinder) etc?

John Galloway

No, no downsides to the system in daily use. There is one
extra cable to the pilots seat harness buckle; not really a
problem. There is also the "bag", un-inflated of course,
beneath the seat cushion, again no problem. In use this bag
is inflated by a gas bottle permanently fixed to the airframe
(in the DG it's behind the seat/oxygen bottle). The whole
system just requires the pilot to pull one handle.

There are of course maintenance and inspection costs, I
think the tank and the bag have a 10 year life?

In the unlikely event the pilot activates the system without
jettisoning the canopy the bag deflates. Plenty of detail and
videos on DG's website; just search NOAH.

The DG8800 designs have low cockpit walls. Some gliders
have significantly higher cockpit walls; I'd rate the rear seat
of a DuoDiscus as significantly more difficult to get out of
than a DG800; the front Duo seat is more difficult too.

For the older pilot I think NOAH might be a life saver.

Dave W