Old April 23rd 04, 02:16 AM
John R. Copeland

"Peter R." wrote in message =
David Brooks wrote:=20
=20
As I said recently, fly approaches into a popular untowered airport =

enough
times, and you'll get held while the controller tries to confirm the =

guy
before you really landed.=20

=20
Good point. Most of my IFR flights have been to towered airports.=20
=20
--=20
Peter
=20

You'll often see holds for traffic at some towered airports, too.
Places like Hailey, Idaho (Sun Valley's airport) are situated in a box =
canyon.
Hailey is far below Salt Lake Center's radar coverage, and there's only
one way in and back out, so only one IFR aircraft will be operating at a =
time.
In VMC, Hailey tower advises everyone, coming and going,
"Remain to the right of the highway".

South Lake Tahoe, California, comes to mind as another place like that.
(Except of course there's no highway up the middle of lake Tahoe :-)

Before Aspen got their radar, the situation there was similar, also .
It used to be considered courteous for Aspen arrivals to cancel IFR
as soon as the field was in sight, so a departing aircraft could be =
released.
---JRC---