Old December 20th 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

Default adding speed/vario switch into ASW-19 control stick grip

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:54:58 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28*am, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote: I am updating the variometer system in our club ASW-19b. I would like to add speed/vario switch into the stick handle. Any ideas, advice and suggestion for components welcome! Don't. Buy a vario with automatic cruise/climb switching. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time with the switch in the wrong position. John Cochrane

Hi John - I have a LX V7 variothat has that functionality. The automatic switching of the STF is currently based on a GPS input (straight flight = STF, turn = vario). I am moderatly happy with the automating switching based on that logic. Is there a better one? I understand that the vario could also switch to SFT above a certain speed (e.g. 60kts) but I find myself flying at best L/D at times. In that case, the vario would automatically revert to "Vario". What "automatic switching logic" works best in your experience?

Thanks,