Old May 11th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Now, in a fuel-injected engine (especially with GAMI), that's a whole
: different world. But in the low compression carbureted world, you run
: rich of peak, or you risk destroying your engine.

Sorry Jay, but it's not necessarily so cut-n-dried. Yes, fuel distribution is
rather poor in your flat six. Not quite as bad in my flat four, but I still have
uneven fuel distribution. The real issue is knowing *FOR SURE* what power setting
you are at and never exceeding the POH amount. Lycoming says essentially *ANY*
mixture setting is fine if you stay below 75% and 450 degrees CHT. I personally don't
like to run it that close and use the more conservative 65% and 375 degrees CHT. At
those power settings and temperatures, you cannot damage your engine with the red
knob. You can lean it until it wheezes if the CHT stays cool enough.

Now, whether or not it runs smoothly there is an entirely different matter....
one of vibration acceptability. Having some above peak and some below peak EGT is
fine if you keep the power and temps low enough.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *