Old July 17th 03, 01:04 PM
Mike Borgelt

On 16 Jul 2003 16:39:49 GMT, Simon Walker
wrote:

Hi Gail,

There is actually no prescribed direction to turn at
release of tow in the UK.
You can turn either way, and I do. However, most people
do assume that it is 'Turn left off tow'
What kind of nasty accident do you imagine might happen
if you turn left instead of right or vice versa?

On my one and only flight in a glider in the UK(Astir 77) I turned
right off tow and so did the towplane! I could see the dirty look the
pilot was giving me. I was told later the glider turns left off tow in
the UK.
In Australia the glider turns right, the towplane turns left. This
guarantees that the two lose sight fo each other and yes we have had a
mid air due to this. As the fighter pilots say " lost sight - lost
fight"

Maybe we should organise things so the two keep sight of each other
until positive separation has been established?

Mike Borgelt