Old August 12th 04, 04:01 PM
Corky Scott

On 12 Aug 2004 09:21:10 -0500, Todd Pattist
wrote:

Corky Scott wrote:

Not sure I need to convince you Todd. I'm just stating what the guy
who IS a prop designer is saying. If you want to debate, I'll look
the guy's name up and you can contact him.

You don't have to convince me, I'd just like to know the
answer. Monoplanes are more efficient than biplanes, so it
makes sense to me that single blades are better than
multiblades. How much "better" is the question. I would
expect anything within about a prop "span" to have some
effect.

The designer of the prop I mentioned wrote in the article about the
fallacy of single bladed prop. Regardless the dubius advantage of
biting into clean air, the problems associated with the unbalanced
thrust produced by the single blade spinning around, despite it being
counter balanced weightwise, are for all practical purposes
insurmountable.

The prop tries to rip the engine out of it's mounts all the way
around. The imbalance is pretty much impossible to dampen out and
results in monumental vibration.

Corky Scott