Old August 4th 03, 03:26 PM
Nyal Williams

Default Aeronautical Term

As I recall from a model airplane kit I built back in the late 1940s,
the British observation plane, Westland Lysander, was equipped with
small, short, secondary flying surfaces (hardly wings) attached to the
landing gear just at about the top of the wheelpants. As I understood
it at the time, these "winglets" job was to react with the ground
effect and help the airplane flare for landing. Does anyone know the
term for these winglets?

BTW, I have searched the web for the Lysander and have found many
pictures; none of them had this device. Nontheless, I am sure that my
kit had them, explained their purpose, and gave their name.

Answers directly to my email address would be most appreciated.