Old April 13th 05, 02:49 AM
Capt.Doug

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message And this has happened NINE previous times
to you?

Yes, but 3 times were for a recurring problem that took us and the
manufacturer 6 months to solve and led to an emergency AD. Three failures
were with freshly over-hauled engines. One failure was because of a breached
fuel bladder. All 10 failures were on multi-engine aircraft and all 10
landed at airports without further incident. Also keep in mind that some of
my flying assignments are for highly experienced persons only.

The key is training. Prior to my charter pilots taking their 135 checkrides,
they have to endure 2 hours of me throwing simulated engine failures at
them. They are sweating, their knuckles are white, and their knees are
shaking, but they can safely handle an engine failure when it's over. Common
mistakes I see during this these training sessions are failure to be
aggressive with the rudder, failure to maintain blue-line airspeed, and
attempts to perform single-engine go-arounds. Many of these pilots were
CFI-MEIs before they came to me, so I'm lead to believe that many of their
students are not thoroughly prepared for an actual engine failure.

D.