Old February 25th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

The FES has an apparent advantage in higher reliability and, perhaps, lower cost, as well as less maintenance. An engine powered sustainer has a potentially longer self-retrieve distance. Jet powered sustainers have an uncertain reliability. These motors must be spun up to a very high RPM for starting. The motors themselves are not certified for aircraft use. I know of one pilot who landed out in a very bad area when his jet failed to start after 3 attempts (miraculously neither the glider or pilot suffered any damage).
I personally won't have a sustainer. I fly a lot in Utah and Nevada, and the sustainer probably won't get me over the mountain ranges I have to cross, or even get me to a landable field that may be 50+ miles away. But most pilots don't fly in this challenging environment.

Tom