Old July 13th 04, 07:20 PM
Roy Smith

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Depending upon where you are in NYC, you should also consider HPN. There's
a club (Westchester Flying Club, at http://wtc-hpn.org/

There's an old joke, "I don't care what you say about me, as long as you
spell my name right". The URL is http://www.wfc-hpn.org :-)

there that appears to be quite nice, and it may be more convenient
for you than Linden or Caldwell via mass transit.

Unfortunately, HPN's no easier to get to via public transportation than
CDW is. Get Metro North Railroad to White Plains, then a 10-minute cab
ride. The only time I ever tried that, the cabbie doubled me up with
another pax at the train station going in the same general direction,
then proceeded to get lost trying to find their destination, so it took
a lot longer than that :-(

Most of our Manhattanites without cars tend to rent a car for the trip.
I grew up in Suburban NJ; I can't imagine not having a car. I live on
City Island in The Bronx; it's 25 minutes to HPN by car with no traffic.
Alternatively, I figure I could walk to the Bx29 bus, take that to the 6
train, take that to 125th street, walk a couple of blocks to the Metro
North station, get the train to White Plains, then grab a cab to the
airport, and be there in well under three hours :-)

I suspect which airport is most convenient for you depends on which
transit terminal you're near. Close to Penn Station, go for Linden.
Near the Port Authority Bus terminal, it's Caldwell. Near Grand
Central, you're a White Plains man.