Old May 11th 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader[_2_]

Default 17m & 20m Volunteer Mentor Pilots Wanted for Junior Camp Contest,Elmira, NY, July 14-20, 2019

Is this an annual event with changing venues?
Uli
'AS'

Uli,

The SSA Junior Camp Contest is an annual event and moves around geographically to different locations. Having said that, the Junior Youth Committee is looking at putting out an RFP next year that lists certain criteria and encourages clubs to bid to host Junior Camp Contests. IMHO, hosting a camp such as this is ideal because you can run it concurrent with a Regional contest, and it all but guarantees a minimal level attendance. From JYC's perspective, the main criteria are as follows: (1) the host club has bathrooms, showers, and can accommodate Junior tent campers and RV's belonging to volunteer mentor pilots; (2) the host club has at least two 17m (preferably at least one 20m) two-seat trainer such as a G-103 or ASK-21 and Commercial rated or CFIG (experienced racing pilots), who can fly with Juniors as PIC; and (3) the host club is geographically located such that it can attract 2-3 lecturers who are qualified to present on topics from entry-level cross-country soaring to advanced racing tactics, weather, and safety. There are other considerations too but this is a start.

FWIW, this is the first year the SSA has been able to put on two of these camps, one at Williams Soaring Center in California, and the other at Harris Hill in Elmira, New York. I received your e-mail last night, and we've added you to our list of volunteer pilots to contact each year. As a rule of thumb we try to reach out to volunteers in early winter. This year we stumbled a bit and had a few obstacles to overcome but the East-Coast Junior Camp Contest looks like it will be a good one!

Best regards,

Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6