Old February 12th 04, 08:29 PM
Yama

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

This is a problem that cuts across the entire Russian armed
forces, they seem reluctant to embrace the idea that
400,000 well trained , equipped and motivated
professionals will be much more effective than 2 million
conscripts with clapped out weapons.

Keith if we would have your little island to protect only...

But in reality we have 1/8 of earth land to protect against:

1) Europeans who have invaded us countless number of times in past.
2) Muslim south who are in the stage of very aggesive selfdetermination.
3) China, simply by far the most populated country in world with
fastest growing economy.

Note also unfortunately we have no an ocean between us, only land.

If not all this we would have 100,000 army to guard the borders.
In reallity however given all local and global factors the minimal
peace time army (according to our own estimates, which are the
only matters) is around 1,000,000.

I'd otherwise agree about merits of conscription army, but in this case I
agree with Keith...

1. Russia is second most powerful nuclear power on Earth, nobody in their
sane minds would dare to directly invade Russia

2. Neither does Russia have a pressing need to invade other nations

3. Instead Russia does have pressing need to suppress various freedom
fighters...oops, they are officially terrorists now. Whatever, in such
police operations conscripts tend to be notoriously ineffective.