Old September 3rd 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Virga, rain, cloudsuck - how close do you get?

I find lift in rain or virga about 50% of the time. Lift is nearby if it is not in the rain. Climbing is usually slower in wet lift because the rain does drag air downward with it, it cools the air, and the glider's performance is degraded. One should have a plan on escaping out of a microburst. I am convinced that microbursts exist in clear air, away from clouds, in which case it is difficult to determine which way to run because the downdraft is invisible, making them scarier than the mature Cumulus kind.