Old July 18th 03, 05:09 PM
Wdtabor

In article ,
(Jim Buckridge) writes:

I saw one of these signs along I-78 in NJ. Now, I find it
***REALLY*** hard to believe that this particular sign is true. The
highway is congested and with radar guns and all, monitoring speed by
aircraft (copter maybe?) seems expensive and unnecessary.

I know I've seen these signs elsewhere - are there still places where
speed is monitored by aircraft?

They do it here in VA, and they do it very badly.

If it were only in rural areas, I wouldn't have too much problem with it, but I
have seen them doing it over a densely populated area in Virginia Beach. They
were flying a 172 in a racetrack pattern parallel to I 64 at about 500ft right
over Regent University and a neighboring subdivision. About 10-20 degrees of
flaps out and very much in slow flight. A stall-spin waiting to happen.

There were between 6 and 10 troopers waiting in cruisers to hand out the
tickets on the ground and a pilot and observer in the air.

Aside from the danger to those on the ground from flying that way over houses,
I can't help but wonder about the efficiency of the use of that much manpower
and expense to catch a few folks with unlawful radar detectors that they miight
have missed using regular methods.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS