Old July 18th 03, 05:33 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

But I don't understand how the simple act of marking a section of roadway
for timing purposes could be considered somehow underhanded or otherwise
undesirable. I think *someone* must consider it undesirable for some
reason, but I don't know why. Do you (or anyone else reading this)?

A "speed trap" in common parlance more usually refers to a situation
where a community sets an artificially low speed limit on a section of
road, deliberately fails to mark the speed limit properly, and then
tickets a lot of motorists on that section for purposes of _revenue_,
not safety.

(There is such a speed trap for example on Hiway 431 in Nevada in the
section running down from the Mt. Rose and Slide Mountain areas toward
Hiway 395.)

For whatever reason, certain groups -- maybe people who believe it's
their god-given right to drive fast? -- rather than trying to attack
these abuses directly, pass laws against common-sense speed measuring
techniques, labelling them (incorrectly) as "speed traps".