Old May 6th 05, 03:02 AM
Al Gilson

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I'd like to acquire the available wisdom on pricing flight time (though I'll
forgo standing on a single leg for now {8^). This is for a club, but I'm
sure it's the same problem for a partnership or even a single owner. The
only difference is that a club has multiple aircraft, but we price such
that no airplane can subsidize another. So that we've multiple aircraft
shouldn't be much of a difference (at least as far as I can see).

My question: How do you decide what it costs to fly for an hour?

Charge a per hour usage based on tach time for each aircraft. You
should be able to calculate your fuel and oil usage reasonably close,
then set an hourly rate for that aircrafts' maintenance and engine
reserve. Your monthly fees should support your fixed costs, such as
hanger, insurance, annual inspection for the planes (the inspection
portion, not repairs of things found), licenses, registration, etc. for
the entire fleet.

Using tach time is great for fuel use because an hour in the pattern
with the engine at low rpm's for a good portion of the flight is fairly
inexpensive.

Al