Old January 21st 19, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

Default FES climb rate at 15kW power?

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 7:56:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The JS3 has a FES option?

Yes. IT is not obvious on the website. But if you go to FAQ -Engine, you see FES is an option. There are 4 of us with FES on order. Everyone else who is ordering the glider with a sustainer is ordering the jet. Ratio more than 5:1 Jet:FES. The FES is the same system used in LAK, Ventus, etc. I really like the re-designed FES battery and believe that the fire risk is a thing of the past. FES should theoretically be more reliable. The slower flight speed of the FES is a negative, but also a positive in that you can use it at low power to climb faster in a weak thermal when making a save. I imagine it is harder to do that in the Jet going 75+ knots.